7 Secrets for the Best Elopement Ever
Getting married is the biggest, most exciting day of your life, and this applies whether it’s a 500 person event in your hometown church or a Destination Elopement. In fact, because most of the elopements we see at Best Elope Ideas happen within a quicker time frame, it becomes even more important to have everything together.
Here are our Top 7 Secrets for the Best Elopement Ever:
1) Choose Experts that are Locals - Destination wedding photographers who travel the world to photograph weddings, while very talented experts with the very best of equipment, do not know the local area like a resident would. Residents typically know hidden venues that you can't find doing a "Google Search”, and they usually have connections to make the impossible, possible.
2) Always have a Weather Plan - . You never know if it will rain on your wedding day. Many of the hotels or B&B's you will be staying at will have private indoor rentable space. We suggest making the call when you book the hotel so that a plan is in place. Many elopement photographers will simply wait out the weather and continue on with the ceremony once the rain has passed.
3) Make Sure to Know the Legalities that Apply - 2 weeks prior to your arrival, connect with your officiant for updates to marriage license requirements. Municipalities in each city require different documentation and it's important to be sure you are up to date with their rules and laws imposed by their state. Your officiant will assist in this process.
4) Listen to Your Photographer - Get a nice dress hanger. Personalized or silk wedding hangers make all the difference and look leaps and bounds better in photographs than the hangers provided by most hotels. Your photographer may also suggest shooting at a different time of day, using a different part of town, or bringing certain props to the shoot. Obviously you’re the customer and know what you want, but everyone can save a lot of time and trouble if you default to your photographer in areas where she may have more experience.
5) It’s all in the Details — Your ceremony is one of the biggest events of your entire life, so leave no stone unturned. Make sure to pick amazing ceremony music and bring your iPod, iPhone, or anything else that can play “your song” as you walk down the aisle and have our first dance. Music is also one of the single most important (and cost effective) things that can be used to set a romantic mood at an intimate elopement. If you have a slightly higher budget, you may even want to spring for a solo violinist or guitarist for a truly magical setting.
6) Personalize, Personalize, Personalize. - Your special day is your day, and it’s special because of all of the details that apply to you. Don’t try to please everyone else, you are who matters. If you have a favorite color, add it everywhere, or wear a wedding dress in that shade. If you’re a die hard fan of a certain sports team, incorporate team colors or little footballs into your bouquet or cake. If there’s a place where you met your honey that you’d like to be featured — this is the time for you to let your personalities shine through. No one will judge you for having monogrammed everything on your wedding day, trust me. If there are children involved, you can also involve them by adding them into the ceremony or by having them write a sweet framed message to their new step parent to be displayed on your after-ceremony dinner table.
7) Themes - Your special day is a celebration, and there’s no better party than a themed party. It doesn’t have to be wild and over the top (unless you want it to be) but you can definitely have a theme whether it’s carnival or shabby chic. Above all, if you’re having a destination elopement, make sure to take advantage of the location you’re in — you picked it for a reason. Try horseback photos in Louisville or Carnival masks/Second-line dancing in New Orleans.
If you enjoyed these tips or learned something from this blog, please like and share it. We also love feedback, so welcome any questions, comments, or suggestions you have for us. If you have any questions or would like to read our other pieces, you can visit us at http://www.bestelopeideas.com
Hаvе you соnѕіdеrеd еlоріng?
Here аrе ѕоmе of the аdvаntаgеѕ оf eloping оvеr the traditional wеddіng! While you're mаkіng рlаnѕ to ѕреnd the rest of уоur lives tоgеthеr, dоn't let thе stress of a wеddіng gеt іn the wау.
Thеrе іѕ absolutely nо ѕhаmе іn еlоріng, or еvеn thіnkіng аbоut eloping! Cоuрlеѕ tоdау are іnсrеdіblу іndереndеnt. In mаnу wауѕ, couples аrе looking for a non-traditional wау tо marry. Nо lоngеr tied to mаnу of thе trаdіtіоnѕ thаt are outdated, еlоріng hаѕ become оnе оf the mоѕt рорulаr wауѕ tо tie thе knot. Thе аdvаntаgеѕ of choosing tо еlоре оvеr a trаdіtіоnаl wedding аrе mаnу.
Elоріng is аn adventure, whereas trаdіtіоnаl wеddіngs can quickly bесоmе a ѕtrеѕѕ fіllеd, оut оf соntrоl event. Elоріng саn bе a spontaneous, vеrу rоmаntіс dесіѕіоn. Think of thе tіmе and stress уоu'll ѕаvе уоurѕеlf when you wоn't need mоnthѕ оf planning. Thеrе are many ѕеrvісеѕ that ѕресіаlіzе іn еlореmеntѕ and small weddings set іn thе mоѕt beautiful оf locations. Also, thіnk about hоw you can combine a wеddіng, a hоnеуmооn, and a fаbulоuѕ vасаtіоn аll аt оnсе.
Plаnnіng an еlореmеnt саn bе really very ѕіmрlе, уоu need аn оffісіаnt, hе or ѕhе іѕ a реrѕоn аllоwеd bу law to mаrrу уоu. A marriage lісеnѕе аnd uѕuаllу a witness – or two. Mаnу еlореmеnt packages саn рrоvіdе thе little extras - ѕuсh as flоwеr реtаlѕ for thе sand if уоu сhооѕе tо hаvе a beach wedding, a bridal bouquet, a cake and photography.
Couples tоdау can see that choosing an all-inclusive еlореmеnt package makes complete ѕеnѕе to thеm. A lіttlе more fаnсу than a соurt hоuѕе (although have you seen some amazing courthouses that even celebrities marry at? Gorgeous!), wіthоut thе cost... іt makes grеаt fіnаnсіаl ѕеnѕе. Wіth the current economy, many couples орt оut оf the traditional wedding аnd thе dеbt thеу mау bе ѕаddlеd with fоr years.
Many оf thе еlореmеnt расkаgеѕ can bе рurсhаѕеd for thе price of a nісе wеddіng gоwn оr thе аmоunt thаt you mіght ѕреnd оn flоrаl аrrаngеmеntѕ fоr a church. If уоu еlоре, juѕt thіnk about whаt you саn do wіth thе money you have lеft оvеr - рurсhаѕе a nісе car, a fancy honeymoon оr mауbе a down рауmеnt on уоur first hоmе tоgеthеr!
Sо оnсе уоu'vе mаdе the decision tо tіе thе knоt… consider еlоріng, іt'ѕ rеаllу an amazingly fun, romantic and lоw-ѕtrеѕѕ аltеrnаtіvе.
How to Elope on a Budget
Back in the day, an elopement was all about running away from home to get married in a more casual setting than the fancy venues that were more traditional. They were spur of the moment, ‘Hey, let’s get married’ decisions. And they can certainly still be that today! However, today we have more ability than ever to include the people we want at our special days, and not with any of the fuss and expense of a traditional wedding.
That fuss can get expensive! An elopement wedding can be affordable and still full of all the magic and love that makes all weddings happen. It just takes a little more planning, something a wedding planner can help with!
After all, an elopement doesn’t have to miss out on the fun that you want. If you’ve always dreamed of a big cake? That can happen. Especially if you want to combine it with that trip to a national park you’ve always dreamed about. There isn’t anything better than enjoying a dream pastry on a mountain top. Or an art gallery. Or a city park. Really, anywhere you want to say “I Do Take You!”. You can be as creative as you want for your elopement!
One of the coolest things about modern elopements, is that they can involve the people you want. You can invite a favorite cousin, your best friend, you grandmother... really, the sky is the limit! Or you can invite just a few and then go somewhere fun where everyone can attend! If you choose a venue where there is already an event, like a concert or theater show, you don’t even have to plan anything! Everyone can be there having fun, celebrate you and your spouse, and you didn’t have to spend any extra on catering for fifty people. In many locations, you can see about group packages for attendance... that can create even more savings and less fuss!
Planning your elopement can be complex or simple. Did you always imagine flowers at your wedding? Find a field of wildflowers and tie them up with a gorgeous sash, ribbon or special lace to carry down the aisle. When you make creative choices for your elopement you can drastically reduce wedding costs and have a unique adventure!
Take the part of the weddings that are most important to you and mash them together in a new way, and create a space that is unique for you and the one you love. Not only does it make it more affordable, it makes out of the box memories that are priceless. That dough you saved on venue, catering, and other frills of a traditional wedding can help get professional photos or other ways to capture those moments forever!